Thursday, March 3, 2011

Life Is Really Really Good.

My friend Stacie said once that "If you look for the bad, you can find bad stuff to complain about all day long.  But if you look for the good, you can find good stuff all day long, too.  I am choosing to look for the good."  She said this while we were sitting in the waiting room at OU Children's Hospital, because her infant son was having surgery to put a shunt in his head after being diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer in his abdomen and brain.

You know what?  I've got it pretty damn good.  I bet you do, too.

I have a husband that loves me and is working hard at THREE jobs to provide for me and our children.  He does it without complaint, and with a joyful heart because he is able to do it.
I have two beautiful, smart, hilarious girls that are so very loved and secure.  They are healthy and happy and giggle all.the.time.
I have a good job - better than most - and it challenges me.  If all goes according to plan, I won't have to work forever, but I do right now, and if I have to spend my weekdays away from my children, at least it's not at a place that I hate.
My girls have loads of people that adore them, not the least of which are Tommy and Betty (aka Papa and Bibi).  Tommy and Betty love and care for them while I'm at work, and I couldn't ask for more cooperative caregivers.  They are my partners and Betty's philosophy is that she is getting paid good money to do things the way that I would, if I were able to be there.

I am a sinner, and deserve none of this, but I am Forgiven, because I am a child of God.
My cup runs over.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I learned to count my blessings while sitting in the waiting room at the pediatric hematology clinic at Oregon Health Sciences University, while my toddler underwent cancer treatment. Said toddler will be 29 in June! It was a scary time, but I learned to be thankful for what we had. And I really learned to appreciate good health. To appreciate how fortunate we were to have health insurance (we met a lot of people who didn't). To live in a time where a child could be cured of cancer. Too many blessings to count...

I also read a story after my son's recovery where the writer talked about finding out that the child of an acquaintance had died. I don't remember all of it, but at the end she said, thank God for children who are healthy enough to drive you nuts! I thought of that often as my children grew up, especially the one who had been sick, because he did his best to be "challenging", not to mention drive me nuts. I was so thankful he was healthy enough to do that, irritating as it could be at times.

I hope your friend's child does well and pray that God will protect the whole family.

MooreMama said...

My friend's child was perfectly healed a little over a year ago, Sue, after battling mightily for over 6 months. And still, she counts her blessings. The cancer that he fought is one that is usually diagnosed after or days prior to death.