Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Because You Probably Deserve That Ticket Anyway


A friend of mine posted this on Facebook this morning.  I think it's a pretty good point.  Besides, if you* are speeding, you probably deserve to get pulled over anyway and so does that dude that you're "warning".

As I was driving home from Cheyenne today, I got to thinking of something. I'm headed down highway 287 somewhere east of Vernon and west of Wichita Falls. I come around a corner and notice a state trooper in the median. Luckily, he wasn't facing toward me otherwise I probably would have gotten a ticket. About a mile or so down the road, I noticed the car behind me flashing his lights at the oncoming traffic to warn them of the trooper.
It was at this point when I started to think a little bit. I must admit that I'm guilty of warning other commuters of a speed trap that awaits them. I'm sure a lot of us are guilty of this. But what I got to thinking of is something my dad once told me. He told me that it isn't uncommon for a simple traffic stop to turn into a million-dollar drug bust. I'm sure the little stretch of highway 287 that I rode down today is quite common for drug runs. This is probably why I always see multiple troopers each time I'm on it.
So the next time you think about warning others that there's a speed trap ahead of them, you might think twice about it. One of those cars that you're warning just might be headed to your home town loaded down with next month's supply of drugs that just might make it into your child's hands.


*general "you", of course.

2 comments:

Melrose said...

wow, I've never thought of that before...I've never warned anyone but I've seen plenty of others do it before. And now I'll never start. Thanks for sharing this.

MooreMama said...

it had never really occurred to me, either. But, in general, I'm more of the "if you're speeding, you deserve to get pulled over" school of thought, so I never warn anyone either. :D